THE BALSAMS RACK OF LAMB IN MUSTARD CRUST WITH CABERNET SAUCE
- 6 Slices white bread, toasted and ground
- 1 Four bone rack of lamb
- 1 Tbs. Pommery mustard
- 1 Tbs. Mustard seed, crushed
- 1 Tbs. Fresh herbs (suggested parsley, dill, or thyme)
- Potato puree, for plating under meat
- 4 Oz. Demi (veal stock, reduced by half)
- 1 Oz. Cabernet wine
- 3 Oz. Mirepoix of vegetables (onion, carrot, and celery)
- For the crust: Toast buttered bread until dry. In a food processor, grind up bread, add herbs and mustard seed and blend until slightly course.
- For the rack: Season rack well (with salt and pepper) on all sides, wrap bones with foil and roast, skin side down, in oven until desired doneness. Allow to rest five minutes (8-10 preferably). Coat with mustard, lightly roll in breadcrumbs and place in oven for 2-3 minutes to reheat.
- For the sauce: Sweat mirepoix for several minutes until caramelized. Add wine and reduce by half. Add demi and reduce until syrupy. Strain and reserve until needed.
Serve with seasonal vegetables.